As mentioned within my Woven Silver Art Jewellery website and online gallery shop, I have chosen argentium silver as my medium of choice because it is considered an ethical and “responsible” precious metal made with a view to “no added harm to the environment”.
• There is an increasing awareness and demand for the preservation of our natural environment – to conserve energy and natural resources and to reduce waste and pollution.
• Some practices in the silver industry use toxic chemicals and hazardous procedures for removing/ hiding restain – a penetrating, dark coloured oxide that forms when Sterling silver is heated during manufacturing processes. Such practices are undesirable in the workplace and the disposal of toxic waste products also raises environmental concerns.
• What makes Argentium Silver responsible?
• Argentium is always made from ethically sourced silver.
• Argentium’s excellent restain resistance makes hazardous processes associated with removing and hiding restain a thing of the past.
• Argentium’s unique and superior properties reduce manufacturing time, labour and resources.
(From Argentium Fact File Document 0317 – Argentium Silver Guild)